Yesterday was Saturday for us so we got to be real tourists all day. We started out in Chatswood where we are staying and there was a little street festival. We walked around and I bought dog biscuits so the kids will have souveniers from Australia too. Peanut butter flavored... their favorite.
From there we went into downtown and walked around the Opera House. We were warned that the inside is not that wonderful because the original plans for it had to be scrapped due to cost overruns when it was built. The outside is neat though because you see angles other that the ones in all the pictures.
From there we went to the Botanical Gardens which turned out to be free. Imagine that. It is similar to Central Park. They encourage you to walk on the grass and lots of families and groups were set up having picnics. Theresa was the first one to notice the flying foxes in the trees. They are amazing it is a huge colony. Flying Foxes are much bigger than the bats we have in North America. In North America we have micro chiroptera... and they do the echo-location thing. Here they have macro chiroptera. They can see but I think it is like cats. They are geared more for low light vision. But these guys eat fruit... not insects so they are active during the day and need to see the fruit.
I'm downloading a video now. I just sat on a bench and they flew over head. They make a sort of screaching noise and they do sort of fight so I guess if you lived near a colony it might get annoying. But I'm just thrilled. I'm loving every minute of it.
Theresa finally dragged me away and we went to the rocks. This is just a neighborhood but it has outdoor vendors on Saturdays and Sundays. They are supposed to close up at 5:30 but many were closing when we got there just after 4. We still enjoyed walking around and looking at their wares. We found this little botique shop in the mall and this woman designed her own dresses. She adapted some traditional Asian styles to fit the traditional non-Asian body type... like mine. I've been wanting one of these outfits for years and even though it was pretty pricy, it fit me so beautifully I had to get it. It is pure silk and I'll be able to wear it for years so it is worth it.
Today we are going to the Blue Mountains which is where the 3 Sisters are. We have seen pictures but are excited to be seeing it first hand.
My bat video is still uploading but I'll add a link when it is done. (it is done... link below)
I have gotten several emails from friends and relative that are reading the blog. It is great to hear from everyone! Love you all.
Oh... and today here is mine and Todd's 7th wedding anniversary. I got to wish him a happy anniversary first! :-D I'm sure missing him and the pups and the kitties. I hear the weather at home is glorious. It is wonderful here too... spring and fall are always the best times of year.
Here is the bat video
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
awesome bats
Didn't they fight against Mothra in an old Japanese movie?
Wow! Those flying foxes are awesome! Thanks for posting the video. It looks like you're having a great time.
Also, happy belated anniversary!
Post a Comment